Friday, April 27, 2012

My Writing


Over the course of this semester, I feel that my writing has grown tremendously. I think that, with each and every successive paper, I was writing with more freedom. This change is apparent when I look at the differences from my first, rhetorical analysis, essay to this final, popular, essay that I am currently still working on. Although I still like my writing in the rhetorical analysis and think that I did a good job of analyzing the commercial, my final essay just seems to have a much more entertaining voice to it. I use a greater variety of sentence structures and I seem much more willing to take risks with my writing. I think these changes resulted from the fact that, at some point this semester, I stopped trying to write a boring, standardized essay and realized that I was definitely able to take risks with my writing.

I really hope that my writing will continue to grow, since I feel that writing skills are very important to have in life. I have enjoyed reading some of the writing in our field guide, and I like trying to model my own writing of these authors.  I would say that it is definitely my goal to be able to write somewhere near the level of these people, since I like how they are able to draw the reader in so well and, by the end of the passage, often change their perspectives on the matter at hand.

I did not get much of a chance to look over my writing from this semester, but I picked out an example of my writing that I am relatively proud of. It is the first and last sentences of my Critical Review Paper:

“As an uncontrollable mildew begins to take root at the foundations of both an entire genre and of a novel, the mental stability of a man also undergoes the unyielding wrath of decay.”

“Because once the decayed mentality of specific genres and novel adaptations is pulled away by the roots, a dazzling new flower is allowed to grow, with The Shining serving as the seed.”       

No comments:

Post a Comment